TV and radio personality Kofi Okyere Darko popularly known as KOD says comments made by ace broadcaster Kwesi Kyei Darkwa (KKD) a year ago which suggested, he [KOD] begged him not to mention his name in a rape case are totally untrue.
KKD disclosed in an interview on the Delay Show in August 2016, that Kofi Okyere Darko (KOD), was with him at the African Regent Hotel the night he was alleged to have raped a young lady, but went on his knees to beg him not to mention his name.
KOD however, in an interview on Tonight with Nii Kpakpo Thompson on Joy Prime on Sunday denied ever begging KKD not to mention his name.
“He (KKD) called me on his birthday last year and said that, I’m his younger brother and son and what he said on Delay Show was not what he really wanted to say”.
KOD also revealed that former President Rawlings showed a lot of interest in the issue and called him to find out the truth of the matter. He also disclosed that the former president encouraged him to speak out about the issue.
“When it happened, President Rawlings told me that he thinks that being everything that I am I didn’t have to be quiet about it and I have to go out and talk about the facts of the matter because he was very concerned.
“He was very concerned, he had an interest in that case and I’m like a son so to make sure I’m doing the right thing, he called me and wanted to know the truth and I told him.”
KOD however maintained that he had since mended his relationship with his friend insisting that the incidence was the lowest point in his life. However, KOD felt he disappointed KKD when the rape issue became topical.
“When my father died, KKD came home and it was at a time I could feel things were not okay between KKD and myself so I spoke to him in Twi [If you are here let me use the opportunity to apologize to you].
“He felt that I should have been in court or sitting on a show like this one in his defence but my lawyers had talked to me. “My lawyers said that where the act took place I was not there and he had conceded that he had consensual sex with the young lady. He had spoken for himself, what else was I going to say?” he asked.
“I have now buried this issue like my father, it’s been the lowest low in my life,” KOD stated. The state was forced to drop charges against the entertainment personality in April, 2015 after the lady in question dropped charges against the ace broadcaster.